Friday, July 16, 2010

swimming lessons

It has been a full week! The boys had swimming lessons this week at the swim center. Connor was in the water babies class from 2:30-3:00 and Micah had level 1 classes from 3:00-4:00. When you add in the 20+ minute drive two and from plus this was a daily 2 1/2 hour ordeal. Added in to the schedule along with errands, lunch, nap and dinner, everyday was a whirl wind!

Connor was not a fan of his class. They focus on getting your child used to the water which basically consists of making them go under back and forth between the teachers, float on their backs and go to the bottom to pick up a toy. Honestly he screamed the. entire. time. He didn't calm down even when I was holding him in the water. He just clung to my neck in fear that I might make him do something else. I'm really hoping I have not scarred him for the rest of the summer! I did learn good skills that I can help him with in the pool myself so yay for that.







Micah did great the first 20 minutes of his first lesson and then freaked out about something (I'm still not sure what) and preceded to cry and sometimes scream for the remainder of his class. Day 2 started the same was Day 1 ended until I had HAD ENOUGH. I calmly picked him up out of the pool and explained to him that screaming was inappropriate and ridiculous, he was fine and was going to have to stay in the pool so calm down and listen. This apparently worked because the rest of the class and week was great. I can't say he had perfect form or that he even paid attention the whole time, but he enjoyed being in the water and felt at ease around new classmates and teachers. SUCCESS!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment