Wednesday, January 13, 2016

word for 2016

I'm easing into my new year goals, plans and resolutions this year which for me is a considerable task and an intentional change of pace.  I'm a big fan of following along different blogs and instagram feeds for both entertainment and inspiration and it never fails that on January 1st almost all of the writers, decorators and what not are full force into the next thing.  Lists are being shared, houses are already being decluttered, diets have begun, redecorating and undecorating, and planning overwhelm all my feeds.  Looking back to past years I am learning that as much as I love seeing the different things these inspire-rs are cooking up, literally and figuratively, part of me always begins to feel a little defeated because I have not yet begun such in my life and then I either stress to catch up to the rest or I quit before I've even begun.

For the past several years I have chosen a word to focus my goals and plans around.  A word that does not mark something I am good at but something God is most definitely asking me to improve on whether accomplishing takes the calendar year, a few years or the rest of my time on this earth (which I hope is considerable).  It was no surprise to me that the word He has guided me towards for 2016 is WAIT.  

 God is preparing big things, He always is of course, but we can feel the suspense of new paths coming soon and knowing my tendency to either try and do ALL the things or the ostrich impersonation I have been know to take on when ALL the things are in fact not doable, I am being asked to wait.  I am fully confident this is not an answer of 'not yet' but instead a command to trust Him as He is working knowing that the times when life look stagnant is when plans are being lived out until the day of fruition comes.  

However, wait does not have to mean sitting in my seat, thumbs twiddling, until my name is called.  Says Mr. Oswald Chambers, "To wait upon God IS NOT to wait with folded hands and do nothing, but to wait as men who wait for the harvest.  The farmer does not wait idly but with intense activity; he keeps industriously "at it" until the harvest.  To wait upon God is the perfection of activity.  We are told to 'rest in the Lord,' not to rust."    

One of my favorite verses is 1 Peter 1:13 which says, "Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ."  My mind is being prepared, so that my actions will follow and in the end my Hope, no matter what does or does not take place, is revealed in Christ.


To help with this process I have searched for different ways I can wait.  To wait means to be patient, to focus, to prepare, to slow down, to enjoy; making the most of life as it is right now, to think through and not be rash.  For me this means not diligently posting my resolutions on January 1st because that is the thing to do.  It means walking downstairs to grab the vacuum instead of rushing to get the task checked off.  It means listening to my son's last few sentences without cutting him off no matter how much I want the nightly bedtime routine to be finished.  It means pondering before responding, saying let me think before saying yes I will, and listening fully to my sweet boys' requests instead of just saying no.  It means slowly and intentionally going through verses calling us to wait and seeing what God does in that time.

 So I wait and prepare with these words fueling my goals, my plans, my resolutions, my thoughts, and my actions.  Waiting, with purpose.


1 comment:

  1. Great word, quote, verse, and chalk board! My word is "next". I'm waiting for the next thing in some ways so our words and outlook for this year are quite similar. I HATE waiting which is what I have been forced to do lately so I can relate to you. Although, I know this is going to be a really exciting year and the Lord has big things in store for you family.

    ReplyDelete