Friday, January 10, 2014

word of the year

Apparently choosing a word for the year is a very trendy blog thing to do.  Granted when I started doing it about 4 years ago it was because I read about it on one of the blogs I follow and just thought it was cool idea.  Obviously lots of other people did too and those people are people who have lots of followers hence the trend I guess.  So I guess since I definitely am not one of those people who has a lot of people just waiting until I share a daily post I will just embrace my trend following and share my word for 2014.

In October I was doing lots of reading/studying/journaling and at some point read through John 15.  While reading, one word kept jumping out at me until I finally looked up it's definition.  That day started a shift and a change in my heart in how I look at my relationship with Christ.  Honestly it's probably not new to most people but it was a lightbulb moment for me.  In small group Sunday another girl shared that she feels like her lightbulb moments are not really impressive as in not really anything earth shattering to most people and I assured her that she was not the only one who felt that.  This is a perfect example for that because I'm sure it's something you look at and say well yeah of course you're supposed to that.  But if it's not automatically there hopefully this will be some kind of encouragement.

When one looks at John 15 they probably automatically remember it as the vine and branches scripture which is a great word picture of it's own.   But one word is mentioned repeatedly and that word is 

Abide

There were two definitions when I looked it up that I really liked.

                                1.  accept or act in accordance with (a rule, decision, or recommendation)
synonyms:comply with, obeyobservefollow, keep to, hold to, conform to,adhere to, stick to, stand by, act in accordance with, upholdheed,accept, go along with, acknowledgerespect, defer to

There is not another person we should accept or act in accordance with above Christ.  Just look at that list of synonyms and imagine how much different your actions and decisions would be if those were the first things you thought about before anything!


2.  (of a feeling or a memory) continue without fading or being lost.
                         synonyms:continueremainsurvivelastpersiststay, live on
 

As for the second one, holy smokes.  My heart near about burst with joy at the thought.  When going through a period where nothing seemed as it was supposed to be.  When praying that I could rejoice, hope, love and be satisfied in the Lord alone but having no idea how to truly do it.  This brought it all together for me.  Christ will always continue without fading or being lost.  He will continue, remain, He survived, lasts, persists and stays.  He is all of those things that I want and need and all I have to do is stay with him.  To Abide in the shadow of His wings.

My exact thought when I read this the first time was "Talk about a word that feels like a warm blanket, cozy socks and roaring fire all in one!  To Abide in Christ, in his love, sacrifice, plan, purpose, perfection, his life.  I am so thankful for a Savior who asks me to abide in him totally and completely. To feel wanted and protected, guided and held fast."

So this year I am going to continue to pray to Abide in Him every day, in the everyday things, in the special things, in everything.

Shortly after I shared this initial thought with Zach he sent me a song which pretty much makes me cry now every time I hear it.



1. Abide with me; falls the eventide;
The darkness deepens; Lord with me abide.
When other helpers, fail and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, abide with me.

2. Thou on my head, in early youth didst smile;
And, though rebellious, and perverse meanwhile,
Thou hast not left me, oft as I left Thee,
On to the close Lord, abide with me.

3. I need Thy presence, every passing hour.
What but Thy grace, can foil the tempter's power?
Who, like Thyself, my guide and stay can be?
Through cloud and sunshine, abide with me.

4. I fear no foe, with Thee at hand to bless
Ills have no weight, tears lose their bitterness
Where is thy sting death? Where grave thy victory?
I triumph still, abide with me.

5. Hold Thou Thy cross, before my closing eyes;
Shine through the gloom, and point me to the skies.
Heaven's morning breaks, and earth's vain shadows flee;
In life, in death, Lord, abide with me.

1 comment:

  1. Good explanation of a hard concept, Sarah. Thanks for sharing!

    Jason

    ReplyDelete