Sunday, June 12, 2011

thankful hearts

Zach and I (seperately) read something on a friends blog and both really liked it! He happened to ask me if I'd read it and when I said YES! we got to have a good talk about our own parenting goals. This is from our friend Mary...

When your chickens are small, your concerns are not as deep.

Did they eat well?
Do they have on enough sunscreen?
Are they watching too much Disney Channel?

You know. It's a little bit simpler. They don't talk back (that much) and you are a stickler with 'first time obedience'.As they grow and mature, they begin to develop their own thoughts and feelings and you cheer them on as you watch them lay the foundation to independence. It's supposed to be a good thing. Only problem is that before long, a little thing called entitlement sets in like an ugly rash.That has happened around here in the last few months but it's probably been building for quite some time. (Unlike my childhood where any extra thing could brighten my week and make me grateful. For example, a trip to the pool, a rare outing to eat at McDonald's, an even more rare trip to Six Flags or a sleepover with my cousins.) I never expected any of these things and I guess that's the biggest difference.In our attempt to provide an abundant, full childhood for our girls, I'm afraid we have spoiled them and that certainly was NOT the goal. They expect to have sleepovers with their peeps on a regular basis (even when they haven't been invited). They expect to eat out at their whim. They expect to be able to decide what toppings we order on our pizza. I want to do nice things for them because I love them, not because they're going to flip out when we can't for some reason or even worse, we can and they fully expect that we will, without any gratitude.

While some of this we haven't had to deal with yet due to Micah and Connor's young age I did think through to see if we were on the same trend. The one thing I desire to make sure we do our best as parents to accomplish is teaching our children thankfulness (in ALL things). Expectations are great and the ones I have for my kids are high, but they are based on a deep love for them and a desire for them to be great citizens in the Kingdom of God which will enable them to be great citizens on Earth. My parenting quite often does not sow the seeds needed to reap that! We are forming our thoughts, actions, prayers to show them how to enjoy and be thankful for all we have and/or don't have and to be happy in HIM alone. It's a tall order so I'm glad I don't have to do it on my own but through He who created us all!

In everything give thanks for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus
1 Thessalonians 5:18

No comments:

Post a Comment