Friday, June 10, 2011

nyc: day 3


Our last day turned into a good part/bad part day. I'll lead with the good :)

One thing I wanted to do while we were there was find some antique/flea markets. There are a couple there every weekend so first thing we did was track them down. The first one was called "The Garage" because it was located in two levels of an old parking garage. There were tons of booths! AWESOME!! I was surprised at the amount of vintage jewelry and clothing. Here in the south we like our home decor but apparently Yankees look for another breed of stuff! We walked around and saw lots of cool things but a lot was over priced, another northern thing apparently! We ended up leaving with two billiard balls, a (fake) gold bracelet with a cool patina, and a stack of old college stickers (circa 70s-80s). Next we found a street flea market where Zach bought an old New York license plate and I got a piece of white milk glass. I left very happy :)


The one I bought in NYC is the taller pedestal in the back. Just in case you want to know the front creamer came from Savannah and the bowl was a surprise from Steph on her trip to Lousiana.
(btw I LOVE milk glass and white dishes of ANY kind. It's always what I look for first at antique/flea/thrift places)


Next, we walked to (somewhere) and found the flatiron building which none of you might know by the name but everyone will know by the picture. We couldn't decide what to do next so we sat for awhile and thought. We had 3 hours left, it was super windy and the sky was getting a bit dark so my vote was going to the MET. I love museums, especially when they have works that I've actually heard of, and I didn't want to get rained on. Zach had talked before we came about wanting to go to Brooklyn to get a picture of the bridge and eat at some pizza place. In the end I
knew he'd be more upset about missing out on a photo op than I would be the museum so we decided on plan b. However, this was the beginning of bad part day.


When I say bad I don't mean something horrible happened, I just mean things didn't quite work out like we'd planned. First of all my feet were swollen from our trek the day before and I made a poor shoe choice sunday so my feet were killing me and I had two monster blisters and we couldn't find an open pharmacy. We had to take a couple trains to get to Brooklyn, got off and then couldn't find the way to get across the highway to the bridge. Once we got there the majority of it was covered in scaffolding so Zach didn't get the exact pics he wanted. The pizza place had a line about 30 ppl long and I'm pretty sure if we had waited in it we would have missed our flight! We made it back to Manhattan with two ridiculously expensive subway bandaids and starving because we STILL hadn't eaten lunch. We found a deli ate yummy sandwiches in a random park near Queensboro bridge and rode a cab back to the hotel to get our bags and head to the airport. WHEW! It didn't by any means 'ruin' our trip, it just gave us a funny story to mix in with all the great ones :)


I really enjoyed our trip, really enjoyed being with just Zach for longer than the time between the boys bed time and ours, and really enjoyed being forced out of my comfort zone to see other people in theirs. Fun times!

No comments:

Post a Comment