Saturday, September 29, 2012

student of the month


Micah's teacher chose him for the student of the month for the month of August.  I went to eat lunch with Micah one Friday and the first thing she told me was that he was going to be her student of the month.  She was so sweet as she told me that he amazes her in his work ethic and behavior.  In her words, "when you tell him to put his stuff away he does it and when you say don't run in the hall he doesn't!  I just look at him and say Micah May where have you been all my life!?"

We attended the SOM celebration and the principal called each child up and read what their teacher had written about them.  His said...

Micah is the perfect student to receive this honor!  He listens and follows directions, performs at his personal best each day and produces beautiful work!  I love Micah's enthusiasm and eagerness to learn!

I love that boy oh so much!!!  The mama and teacher in me loves watching him do his work and see his brain working overtime because it's starting to click and thinking in ways it never has before.  I love listening to him read and sound out new words and watching his face light up when  he shares something new he knows and hear him say "man I can really read"  I love answering his questions about how things are spelled and what new words mean.  I love listening to him 'trick me' by counting in different ways and adding things up in his head and watching his finger write in the air as he's thinking.  But do not fear he does have flaws ;) 

My handsome Micah May is a typical first born child.  A sweet OCD rule follower with a hint of perfectionist.  He loves being at school and does a great job with his work there and at home.  However,  he is overly concerned with following each rule to the letter and can think negatively about those who do not and he already gets upset if he doesn't get something right.  I spent one morning on the way to school while he was in tears trying to convince him that it was ok that he didn't know all his sight words already.  Some days it as if I'm looking in a mirror.  I understand his mind and heart because it is so like my own and we are each growing and improving during these talks and situations

Like all of us, he will have to learn that you can't be right all the time and you can't know everything.  You will learn, you will try, you will succeed and you will fail and through each of those things you will grow into the person God is molding you to be and in each of those moments there should be joy.





1 comment: