Wednesday, December 2, 2009

thanksgiving tradition

Most of our brains have already forgotten about Thanksgiving and have moved on to Christmas. I LOVE Christmas. The meaning, the music, the togetherness, the cold, the clothes, the decorations, it all wraps up into this present of AWESOMENESS in my eyes. However, I always feel like Thanksgiving Day gets looked over just a bit. Most families get together and eat, hang out, and watch football but the meaning of it gets lost in the anticipation of getting ready for Christmas. No offense to my friends and family who are big Black Friday shoppers. I have plenty of them and while I don't like that craziness, they can go right on ahead and join in!! I guess I just would like to honestly set the day completely apart as a day of thanks for what we have and try to forget just for a little bit what is coming next. Make sense to anybody else!?

I'm over that little tangent. The real point of this post was to share one of my fav Thanksgiving traditions before I too am so into the Christmas Season I forget all about this. You might think that I'm going to share this sweet, sentimental, family loving tradition. Especially after I just went on and on about not looking past Thanksgiving. However, I'm not.

The thing that sticks out most in my head from the first memories I have and still happens every single thanksgiving no matter what is the famed "eating of the turkey skin." Not once in my family has a turkey got to the table without being stripped of that crispy, juicy goodness. My siblings and I would hover over the big ol' bird every year just waiting for the go sign. Then within 30 seconds He is naked as a jay and we are happy as a lark!

This year my lovely husband decided to take pictures of the annual Thanksgiving Day Massacre. You might notice that David is not in these pictures. Well what can I say. We wait for no man. If you're not there, tough cookies. That's just more to go around!!










2 comments:

  1. There is not much to say...poor David! Next year maybe I can at least "plate" the bird before the skinning begins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing.

    And I'm with you on lingering with Thanksgiving a little longer (even if the Christmas decor is already up)...especially the Thanksgivings when you happen to be hooked to machines at the hospital. I was jipped this year.

    ReplyDelete