Sunday, June 27, 2010

i was running

Couldn't help throwing a little Forrest Gump quote in the title :)

On Saturday evening I ran my first 5K. The first of many I'm hoping. Leslie got the brilliant idea at the beginning of the school year that running was a good thing. I of course thought it was ridiculous because I do not run and the few times I broke the "I do not run" rule I passed out...literally. Once was during a conversation with a friend after I had run at our city park in Enterprise. However, after a bit of convincing and coaching I decided that maybe I could do this after all.

After the first of the year we both set a goal to run a 5K. Our church bulletin had an advertisement for one that RER (rockdale emergency relief) was doing as a fund raiser. I didn't see it in there but that Monday when Leslie came to get the kids she asked me about and then said "we're doing it." We finally had our deadline so the training kicked up a notch! We ran at night after the kids were in bed and by this time Steph had decided to join in the 'fun' too. We 'trained' for about 3 weeks, so not super long, before the run and the first time I ever got close to the actual distance was the day of!!

I know for a lot of people 3.1 miles is not a big deal but let me just say that I was RIDICULOUSLY PROUD of myself when it was all said and done. This race had nothing to do with how fast I could run, what time I got or if I won anything. It had everything to do with me setting a goal that I never considered trying for and accomplishing it. I wanted to try something new and do it with friends that I love and support who love and support me back. I wanted to make myself proud and my husband proud by setting a goal and reaching it and I did it!! I ended up finishing in 36 minutes and 54 seconds and since I was trying for under 40 I thought that was pretty dang good. Stephanie was a little ahead of us for most of the race (she's the speedy one and has some long 'ol good for running legs!) but Leslie and I were pretty much side by side the whole time and God bless her for it she shared her neck cooling thing with me around mile 2.5 and sang Dixie Chicks from her IPOD to keep me going. We all had agreed to sprint as soon as we saw the finish line but her sprint was way sprintier than mine!

It was fun, exhausting and exhilirating all rolled up together and I am so proud of all three of us and can't wait to try it again!!



Steph, Me, Kayla and Leslie before the race
and we're off!
'sprinting' to the finish
praising the Lord that I made it in one piece!
post race picture
Me and my supportive men.

4 comments:

  1. Yay!! I'm so glad you did this!! Now you need to come to Nashville and run with me. Wait until November though...it'll be to hot otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That should be "too"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok. So everytime I see the pictures of you finishing the race I think you have a lei on. It cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete