Monday, December 20, 2010

the nativity

I wanted to share, for my own memories and for your enjoyment (hopefully) the nativities, or 'tables if you're Micah, that we have in our home.

The first is a Willow Tree Nativity. It was given to me by my mom and Mrs. Vickey during one of my wedding showers. It is one of my favorite gifts and will always be a treasured part of our Christmas decor.


The second is the Little People Nativity. I bought it online for a great deal this year and was so excited to share it with the boys. It was one of the first advent calendar activities we did. I so wanted a child friendly (meaning non breakable) nativity that they could play with. Whether they were using it to really retell the story of Jesus' birth or just make up their own story with the characters, I just wanted them to be able to have a hands on experience with the reason for Christmas. They have LOVED it! Even Connor gets down and lets the animals 'eat' their hay and gets the angel to sing the song on the stable. He's also a big fan of taking the donkey everywhere he goes.

I love the sweet faces of Mary and Joseph with their hands held up in worship.

And this camel just straight cracks me up!!! Anybody else think it looks like he's sporting a toupee?


The third is very homemade and was completed just yesterday. Our children's church has just started using the Noah's Park curriculum and have loved it so far. Their Christmas lessons have been about the characters of the nativity and have built upon each other. Yesterday we completed the set with the shepherds and their sheep and the telling of their story spreading the good news. Micah finished coloring his after church yesterday and we put them all together. He has spent quite a lot of time on his hands and knees having them all talk. Last night he was yelling DADDY! and when Zach went back their he just said that was Jesus talking to Joseph. Then this morning the shepherds were walking around his room yelling good news about a hundred times while the angel flew in the air saying 'aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh' (zach's 'the angel just arrived' noise!)




I know it's not the best art he'll ever do and I'm sure they will be a day where he in his teenageish way will say "Mom seriously why do you still have that?", but I do not care. I like Mary will treasure this forever!

1 comment:

  1. Such precious nativity scenes, especially the last his is one!

    ReplyDelete