Friday, December 7, 2012

san diego: day 1

Zach was chosen to speak at a conference in San Diego and I was fortunate enough to be able to go with him.  By fortunate I mean he was going to be gone on my birthday and I stated that there was no way he was going to California for my birthday alone ;)

After weeks of stressing out about dying in a plane crash and leaving my poor boys orphaned, we headed across the country a day before the conference started so we could get in some extra time.  As soon as we landed we headed to the hotel, dropped off our bags and walked along the bay to the USS Midway Museum.  Zach had been talking about going since we made plans for the trip and my mom had taught me to at least appreciate war movies since they are some of her faves so I was excited too.




The boat/ship/weapon was really cool and I think the boys will LOVE it one day.  The very very best part was talking to one of the volunteers who was not only a veteran but a former pilot who flew jets aboard that very ship.  We just kept asking him questions and he kept telling us stories.  It makes me wish I had thought enough as a young girl to ask and remember more about my Granddaddy and Grandpa's time in WWII.













After the Midway we took a ferry across the bay and made our way to Hotel del Coronado.  It is a very famous (apparently) hotel and it is downright gorgeous!!  It also sits on the beach and we were able to walk on, put our feet in and see a sunset over the Pacific Ocean for the first time ever.  It was AWESOME!!  I found some shells to save for my little fellas and also scooped up a baggie full of Pacific beach sand.  We spent about an hour with me walking around, Zach taking pictures and just standing in awe of the beauty God had created!









After the sun was officially set and even Zach couldn't take another picture we walked around the inside of the Hotel Del and then headed back to our hotel.  Dinner out and then a very early (Cali time) bedtime came to get ready for my 31st birthday day in San Diego.



No comments:

Post a Comment