Monday, August 8, 2011

handkerchief baby blanket


For a baby gift I made my sister in law Katie a baby blanket of vintage handkerchiefs. I am very proud of it because it's a semi original idea. I say semi because I made it up on my own without seeing it anywhere else but I'm sure someone else has done something like it at some point. I don't have a tutorial per say but I can share the steps I followed. Please know this are coming from a very non professional seamstress!

1) Buy handkerchiefs, flannel, and that soft fabric with the circles. I got the handkerchiefs on a shopping trip to Scott's Antique Mart and then filled in with two I found on ebay and bought everything else at Joanns with a coupon.

2) lay out handkerchiefs in a square and sew together.

3) sew handkerchiefs on top of a larger square of flannel. I did this because I was afraid it would be too small.

4) sew right sides of flannel/handkerchief and the soft stuff and then turn inside out and sew up the hole.

5) sew "in the ditch" to adhere the two pieces together firmly and sew around the edge.






It is definitely not perfect because I can't sew perfectly but I LOVED how it turned out :)

3 comments:

  1. It turned out so pretty! I totally had regular white handkerchiefs in my head. I didn't know they came in so many beautiful colors. I am sure Katie loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful Sarah! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete