Wednesday, October 27, 2010

polka


A year before Zach and I were married both of my mother's parents passed away, one in December and one in June. While going through their Minnesota lake house we found some interesting items. 5 of these stood out as good 'gifts' for each other, and by gifts I mean random objects to pass around and/or hide in each other's homes until they are found and passed again.


The 5 items...
1) a hat with a plastic fish head lives in South Dakota with my Uncle Jerry
2) a creepy stuffed frog doll with a straw hat lives in Illinois with my Aunt Julie
3) a half moon with a kind of intoxicated looking farmer crow is a centerpiece in my sister's kitchen in Alabama
4) a wooden rooster lives in my bathroom. My aunt glued beads in the shape of panties and a bra on it for my lingerie shower. It's quite a conversation piece :)

Only one is left in circulation and by the title of my post you have probably guessed that it has something to do with polka.

5)Yes it's a polka cassette tape. As far as I know none of us have actually listened to the tape but many of us have been in possession of it. It has hidden in diaper bags, baby beds, make up drawers, purses, shower stalls, suit cases, packages, presents and the list goes on and on. It continues to be a favorite game of hide and seek and I am curious to see how long it lasts :)

And for you movie buffs here are some (semi) famous quotes about polka from a couple of my favorite movies. Can you guess which ones!?!?!?!

* Polka King of the Midwest? The Kenosha Kickers? No? That’s okay I thought you might have recognized– …Anyways I had a few hits a few years ago. That’s why I… Polka, Polka, Polka?(singing) Polka, polka, polka… No? Twin Lakes Polka… Domavougi Polka A.K.A. Kiss me polka…polka twist?

* How about a nice polka? It's got something for everybody. That's it Harve. You're exactly right. Bingo!

*I think Handsome Hans will fit right in at Slippery's Bar. It's a TAVERN!



2 comments:

  1. Home Alone and New in Town - I don't know the last one though? Do I win something for getting 2/3 right?? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. We aren't a strange family, but we are a bit quirky!

    ReplyDelete