Friday, January 1, 2010

new word

Last year I decided against making a New Year's Resolution and instead created a list of goals and desires. I just looked back through the list and I'd say about 50% of it happened. We are still living in the same house, Connor does not sleep through the night yet, there was no fun family vacation, and I don't even want to talk about the amount of time Zach and I spent together on a regular basis. It took me awhile to decide whether I was ok with this or not.

At first it felt the same as those resolutions that you quit after about a week because you feel like a big fat failure. Then I decided that goals, whether you reach them or not, are good. It's good to set a bar, to strive for something, to anticipate fun and new things. There will definitely be a new list for 2010. It excites me to think ahead at what I want to accomplish and how I want to change. However, this year I am adding a twist.

I read on another blog about how one lady is not making a resolution but is instead choosing one word to strive to do by incorporating it into her every day life. Ding Ding! (that's the sound of a great idea) Excellent idea! I thought about it all day and have finally settled on my word(s) and it is...CONTENTMENT (and or be content)

I can make my own plans all day long and let's face it, there's a good chance God will shoot them all out of the water because if they don't agree with His they just aren't gonna happen! So I will make my list. I will set my own goals. I will try to succeed. BUT most of all, this year, I will be content on where He has placed me! I will glean in the field I am in! I will thank Him in ALL things!! and I will grow closer to Him because of it!

4 comments:

  1. You are pressing on to the high calling! Good girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really enjoyed having yall with us this past week . Hope it was fun for yall, too. ( maybe it could SORTA count as a fun family vacation :) Love, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK - this kinda freaked me out because last night before I went to bed I was adding things to my "list" and then I thought that if I had to sum everything up with one word that I would choose CONTENTMENT - not because everything on the list necessarily fell under that heading, but because if I can accomplish THAT I probably won't care if anything else gets accomplished. So I am with ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this post! New Years Resolutions can definitely be stressful! Last year a couple of friends and I made a list of "101 Things to do in 1001 days" I have mine broken up into different catagories like: Home/Decorating/Organization, Cooking/Food, Books to Read, Sewing/Crafts, Work Goals, Budgeting/Finance, and some others. 1001 days gives you a little over 2 1/2 years so its not so overwhelming. Because I'm a nerd I created a spreadsheet in Excel to keep track of it. Some of the goals are silly and easily accomplished and others are more long term that I will continue to work on even after 1001 days are up. I can send it to you if you are interested in seeing it.

    ReplyDelete